Our School App Stay connected on the go...
What will you study?
The Physical Education course will equip you with a wide range of knowledge, understanding and skills which relate to the scientific, socio-cultural and practical aspects of physical education. Theoretical content is broad, you will explore the following topics:
- Applied anatomy and physiology
- Skill acquisition
- Sport and society
- Biomechanical movement
- Sport psychology
- Sport and society and the role of technology in physical activity
This course will require students to: develop theoretical knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin physical activity and sport and use this knowledge to;
- Understand how physiological and psychological states affect performance
- Understand the key socio-cultural factors that influence people’s involvement in physical activity and sport
- Understand the role of technology in physical activity and sport
- Refine their ability to perform effectively in physical activity and sport by developing skills and techniques and selecting and using tactics, strategies and/or compositional ideas
- Develop their ability to analyse and evaluate to improve performance
- Understand the contribution which physical activity makes to health and fitness
Subject specific entry requirements:
- Grade 5 in GCSE Science
- Grade 6 or Merit at KS4 GCSE PE or equivalent
- Practical Sports Performance outside of school for a team or club
CHOOSING PHYSICAL EDUCATION ALLOWS YOU TO PRESENT YOURSELF AS A ROUNDED INDIVIDUAL TO UNIVERSITIES. IT PROVIDES YOU WITH THE OPPORTUNITY TO EXPLORE A RANGE OF SUBJECTS IN A PRACTICAL SETTING. REGULAR PARTICIPATION IN COMPETITIVE SPORT DEVELOPS CONFIDENCE, RESILIENCE AND LEADERSHIP SKILLS WHICH ARE ALL ASSETS TO FUTURE CAREER PATHS.
A Level Physical Education can lead to a number of varied careers, including: teaching, coaching, instructing, research, psychology, nutrition, physiotherapy, sports therapy, chiropractor, human sciences, product design, sports management , Sports Marketing, Sports Broadcasting/Journalism and professional athlete.
Extra Curricular Opportunities
Training / Competing / Umpiring sports
Inter-school House matches
SUBJECT SPECIFIC PRESENTATIONS AND HOLIDAY TASKS
Please click the below link to take you to a page listing subject presentations and summer holiday tasks for Year 11 students entering V6 Sixth Form in September.